Sunday, July 15, 2012

Summer Salads



Oh summer days, I love ya, I really do. 

But I've been doing a horrible, horrible job making meals this month. Like, really bad. I've had many nights where supper consisted of hummus, carrots, crackers and a glass of wine. I just can't get myself to spend time in the kitchen. I mean, there has been heat waves (which as a Newfoundlander I am totally unprepared for), extended hours of sunlight, patios screaming my name, sunny parks, and week night outings. 

But really, it's time to add a little pizzaz to my meals. A girl can't do this forever. 

Due to my aversion to the kitchen these days I have been frequenting a cafe near my work for lunch. They have a fabulous sweet potato lentil salad. As I was chowing down the other day I thought "what's wrong with me?! I can make this!". And so I did (with a change or two). It was wonderful and more importantly, quick!

Arugula, roasted sweet potato, lentils, avocado, red onion, and goat cheese - seriously people, this salad is good. 

It's raining right now, so it's the perfect time to spend 20 minutes cooking sweet potato and lentils. I'll pop them in the fridge and use them for a no-cook salad throughout the week. 

Ingredients 
It's a salad - use as much or as little as you like. You are the boss. 
Arugula 
Roasted Sweet Potato 
Cooked green lentils 
Goat cheese
Avocado
Red Onion 

Additions that I am for sure going to try: 
Sunflower seeds
Granola (the original has this, yum!) 
Peaches
Raisins
Herbs - Basil, Dill, Cilantro 

The dressing:
I keep it simple - juice from a fresh lemon and a drizzle of olive oil.

Directions: 
1. Cut the sweet potato into half moon slices. Toss  in olive oil. Bake at 450 F for 15 - 20 minutes. 
2. Rinse a cup of green lentils in cold water. Bring to a boil with three cups of water in a large pot for 15-20 minutes, or until lentils are no longer hard. 
3. Chop all other ingredients and toss together together. Drizzle with lemon and olive oil. 




Wishing you happy days, tasty meals and lots of sunshine!
Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. you know this is my ab fab fav salad from you know where!!!! so yummy. you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete